- This event has passed.
Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
February 5, 2015 @ 7:30 pm - 9:25 pm
Both screens Sold Out.
This is a special advance screening of GETT: THE TRIAL OF VIVIANE AMSALEM on Thurs. Feb. 5 (8 days before it opens in L.A. and N.Y.) .
Israel’s official submission for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film!
Winner of the Israeli Film Academy Ophir Award for Best Picture and propelled by the craft of Ronit Elkabetz, one of Israeli cinema’s most acclaimed actresses, GETT: THE TRIAL OF VIVIANE AMSALEM is an uncompromising, heart-rending portrait of a woman’s struggle to overcome an unmoving patriarchy and live a life of her own design.
An Israeli woman seeking to finalize a divorce (gett) from her estranged husband finds herself effectively put on trial by her country’s religious marriage laws in this powerhouse courtroom drama. In Israel, only Orthodox rabbis can legalize a union or its dissolution, which is only possible with the husband’s full consent. Viviane’s determination to fight for her freedom, and the misogynistic practices of the rabbinical judges, shape a procedure where tragedy vies with absurdity and everything is brought out into the open for judgment.
• Golden Globe nomination for Best Foreign Language Film
• Official Selection Cannes Film Festival 2014 – Directors’ Fortnight Feature Competition
• Winner! Israeli Film Academy Ophir Award – Best Picture
• Winner! Chicago International Film Festival 2014 – Silver Hugo for Best Screenplay
• Winner! Jerusalem Film Festival 2014 – Haggiag Award for Best Israeli Film
• Winner! Jerusalem Film Festival 2014 – Audience Favorite Award
• Winner! Hamptons International Film Festival 2014 – Golden Starfish Award for Best Narrative Feature
Language: Hebrew (English subtitles)
Length: 1 hr. 55 min.